Close friends of mine will know that I have a bit of a business book fetish. I even list a few of my favorites at www.discountbusinessbooks.com.au.
Last week I sent a 1300 Web Pro customer home with a copy of Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking by Andy Sernovitz.
Half way through the book, Sernovitz shares his "Word of Mouth Manifesto," which every business owner should read and reflect upon:
- Happy customers are your best advertising. Make people happy.
- Marketing is easy: Earn the respect and recommendation of your customers. They will do your marketing for you, for free.
- Ethics and good service come first.
- UR the UE: You are the user experience (not what your ads say you are).
- Negative word of mouth is an opportunity. Listen and learn.
- People are already talking. Your only option is to join the conversation.
- Be interesting or be invisible.
- If it’s not worth talking about, it’s not worth doing.
- Make the story of your company a good one.
- It is more fun to work at a company that people want to talk about.
- Use the power of word of mouth to make business treat people better.
- Honest marketing makes more money.
Referrals by word of mouth can be the least expensive and most productive tool in a business' marketing toolbox. Follow Sernovitz's advice, and not only will these referrals increase in number, but your business will be a fun place to work and do business with.
I've uploaded a PDF version of The Word of Mouth Marketing Manifesto for you to print out and share with your staff.
For more information on Sernovitz's book, visit www.wordofmouthbook.com. To order your copy at a 20% discount in Australia, visit Discount Business Books.
1300 Web Pro